Saturday, November 19, 2011

The paint colors & technique for the armoire….

 

Untitled 1

When people find out I painted the armoire in the living room the first question they ask is,”What color did you use?” The second question is usually,”How long did it take?” So, today I will answer those questions.

The armoire was a Craig’s List purchase for $600 and it is made out of teak wood.

 

How the armoire looked before:

Untitled 7

 

And how it looks today:

Untitled 3

 

Here you can see how detailed it is.

swedish armoire 008

 

swedish armoire 010

First the armoire was lightly sanded then a coat of primer was applied. Next a custom color of grey I mixed up using paint I had on hand was applied. Sherwin Williams 7640 Fawn Brindle in satin is a very close match if you don’t want to mix up your own color. After the base coat was dry I touched up a few places. I then dry brushed white paint I had on hand over the entire piece using a wet paper towel to wipe off any places that I felt the paint was applied too heavily. After it was dry I then used an artist brush to apply Burnt Umber craft paint in all the nooks and crannies.  I did not apply any kind of finish over the top of the paint which is something I should probably do…… I would recommend a paste wax. The entire project took 8 hours to complete…………

I also wanted to send out a big,big thank you to all of those who took the time to comment on the open house party…….. I really truly appreciate it!!!!!!!!! It was so much fun to read all the comments.

Have a great weekend!!!!!!

 

 

Ps. I do not claim to be an expert and this is probably not the best way to paint a piece of furniture….it just works for me.

24 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Des!

Sorry to have been MIA lately, as usual lots going on. I've always loved this armoire, you did a wonderful job. Don't know if I would have had the patience to do such an intricate piece.

Hope ya'll have a happy Thanksgiving!

Judy

niartist said...

I love this armoire Des, and I DO think that you are a master. That armoire is perfection! :)
xo,
A

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

YOur armoire is stunning. I love all of the architectural detail of the piece and your finish is gorgeous. Great tutorial. Hugs, marty

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

The details of your armoire look so much better with the paint job. Just gorgeous. I would love to find a piece like that. Great price!

I sure hope that soap helps your dog stop itching. Huge improvement on Bailey and it suds up so easily and rinses easily. I love it.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

The detailing on that piece is just beautiful, Des! I think you really brought it out with your painting.

Kelly said...

I love how your armoire turned out with its new color. Thanks for the tutuorial. I may repaint my armoire in the family room one day. It's nice to know how to acheive the look like you did!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Des I LOVE this piece and it looks gorgeous painted and it really brought out all it's beautiful details! PERFECTION!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Des, I have loved this armoire from the first time I saw it on your blog. The carving is beautiful and the paint treatment brings out all the detail.
Hugs,
Sherry

SHERRY HART said...

I love it painted! And if you aren't the expert...you should be!

Paint Colors said...

Wow I would never think of painting Teak wood, its so beautiful all on its own. But I have to say you turned a $600 Craig's List find into a million bucks! Really the armoire turned out fantastic and matches the space beautifully now.

Kelly said...

Just thought I'd let you know that I'm currently repainting my armoire (tv cabinet) in my family room using the technique and paint colors you used. My armoire is not NEARLY as gorgeous and intricate as yours, so it won't look as good, but at least the color will. Ha! I'll be posting it after it's done. I have a complete family room color makeover coming!

LuluD said...

Oh my goodness! What a gorgeous piece and beautiful job. I need to start looking at Craigslist again. I'm getting some chalk paint this weekend and can't wait to try it. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Seriously, Des...... that armoire takes my breath away. You did an amazing job with it and the white paint brings out the details perfectly.
WOW!
That's all I can say! Wow!
Fabulous!
xx
Alison

Buttercup Bliss said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! Love the way you transformed the armoire!!!

Just found your blog... can't wait to look around :-)

d e l i g h t said...

This is awesome! The color and your antiquing details are just perfect! Great job!

rachel@Acts of Life said...

What a stunning armoire! You did a wonderful job transforming it into something Beautiful and jaw dropping. I just found your blog via Antique Chase.. now a new follower.

All the best.
Rachel :)

Mikey Fuller said...

This is beautiful! Love!

Can't wait to see more!

Now Following!

~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

Fiona, Lilyfield Life said...

beautiful painting. it's lovely. actually way more than lovely. exquisite!
cheers Fiona
www.lilyfieldlife.blogspot.com

Custom Comforts said...

Just beautiful! I paint furniture too and I can appreciate how much love you put into you armoir. It looks so much better painted and now you can see all the gorgeous detail. What a treasure you have!
Newest follower.
Cindy

rusty hinge said...

Hello Des! I just found your blog and I LOVE it! Oh and you did an awesome job on your armoire. It looks great! I am your newest follower!
Merry Christmas!
Maria
www.rustyhinge.blogspot.com

Ticking and Toile said...

Amazing paint job! Stunning!! Your newest follower:)
Xo,
Shellagh

Sandra said...

This is beautiful! I keep coming back to look @ this armoire. I love it!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!

That is the best case of turning a "sow's ear" into a "silk purse"!!!

The carving was gorgeous and hand-done; and it was almost invisible in that deep color.

This is genius!!

Congratulations!!!

Mary Ruth said...

ON this Armoire, That piece of furniture NEEDED you to find it! And what a deal!

I love the approach you took with the paint. Looks great, like it was meant to be in your house and that gray fixes the carvings to become so special!

Great job! I admire your work and your vision!