Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A new dining room table…….

 
This post is a little like the fairy tale of Goldilocks And The Three Bears since over the years we have had a few different tables in the dining room and none of them were just right.
 
Dining 1
 


The first table was a French refractory table we used in a previous home. It was a gorgeous table but was too small to accommodate all of the members of our family when hosting family dinners. Next I bought a French oval table with inlaid wood. It was beautiful but a little too big for the room since the hearth for the wood burning stove protruded so far out into the room. After breaking one toe on my left foot three times we sold the table and brought the first table back into the room. We used that for a while until my husband then made a farmhouse table out of reclaimed wood. Again the table was nice but I decided I wanted something less rustic. Sooooo, I bought another French refractory table and while it was bigger than the first table it was still too small for the room. Then one day it hit me…..a round table!!!! A round table would fit the room just right!  So then the hunt was on for the perfect round table.
 
table1

My husband wanted something with character……so I found him one with lots and lots! It had a broken leg and the entire base had to be taken apart and re glued. Plus the top had lots of lots of character marks too…..it had definitely been a well loved piece.
 
dining2

Although the table looked nothing like it does now when we found it I was instantly smitten and fell in love when I saw those legs!!!!! I have never seen a round table with such amazing chunky legs before.
 
dining 3

I found the table on Craig’s List of course for $75. With the cost of glue, stain, and polyurethane for refinishing the top the total cost was around $105. Not bad huh?
 
dining 4

Of course then I needed chairs for my new gorgeous table so I purchased four of these white slipcovered chairs from IKEA. They are probably the most comfortable dining chairs we have ever had.
 
dining 5

Have a great week my friends!!!
Joining the party at: Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Hope to see you there!
-------

21 comments:

Traci said...

So pretty!

Mari said...

Gorgeoys table Des....
Wishing you and yours a very happy and healthy Thanksgiving ;)

Smiles~
Mari

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Des, I love the table and new chairs. This is such a beautiful room!
xx,
Sherry

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Des I absolutely LOVE your new table and chairs!! Love that gorgeous hutch too!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

The table is beautiful! I love the legs too! Great find for a great price!

paperjunk-lc said...

As always so beautiful. Love a great rescue story.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Des!!! And those legs... wow! The price has me gobstopped though.
The repair was beautifully done.

Judy said...

I love that table Des! I had no idea you'd gone through so many to find the perfect one...yet I always loved ALL your tables (LOL)! I may need to "fetch" my white slipcovered Parsons chairs from storage to change up what I have in the kitchen...I love that look of the white slips and dark table.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

The table is gorgeous Des...and after your labor of love, it becomes a very treasured piece!...your dining room is stunning!!...Happy Thanksgiving!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Des, the table is gorgeous. Round seems to fit your room beautifully and the chairs are really nice looking. Very pretty..Happy Thanksgiving..Judy

Cynthia said...

Just stunning Des, you did a great job with your touches. Happy Thanksgiving

Cindy

AntiqueChase said...

fantastic Des!!! Happy Holidays! Marcy

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

Very nice, Des! I've done the same thing going through several tables until finding the one that is just right. You made a great choice with the round one and I love the chairs with the white slips! Oh, and of course I LOVE the table legs too. I totally have a thing for pretty table legs. :)

chateau chic said...

Your dining room is gorgeous no matter which table you have in there. I do like the round one which turned out beautifully and your new chairs. Gives your dining room a lovely intimate feel.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Mary Alice

sheerserendipity said...

The table is beautiful... The dining room is absolutely stunning! Happy Thanksgiving!

Junkchiccottage said...

Gorgeous Des. So beautiful. Love the Ikea chairs with the new table. Looks so pretty.
Kris

cotedetexas said...

Of course it needed a round table! it just took you 10 years to realize that. so funny!!! now that you see it - it's impossible to see it the other way. i absolutely love it!!!!! and the new chairs too!! my daughter has them too. your house is so beautiful and now the dining room is gorgeous. use it in good health!

joni

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

This is inspiring me to make a change. We have a table that's an antique, but it's never been quite right. Perhaps a remake or just a brand new beginning is what I need. Your table turned out great.
Thanks for the push in the right direction!

Ivy and Elephants said...

What a great find, I agree that it is just right! It looks perfect!
Have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.
Hugs,
Patti

Unknown said...

Yeah! this table as you had set it is amazing in itself. I love you idea to present this post.



sunflower jewelry

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Des, I'm so late seeing this post. I love your new table and those chairs are from Ikea? Who knew. Let me also say wow, Joni from Cote de Texas commented on your blog. How nice.