Tuesday, February 21, 2017

A new little painted chest….

 

Last weekend the weather was so beautiful that we decided to take a little road trip. We went to Cottonwood Falls where we visited our favorite little store, Tallgrass Antiques. They sell wonderful architectural salvage pieces there and recently expanded to the store next door where they have added furniture.

painted chest6

The store next door is the old hardware store and it truly a gem! I found this cute little painted chest up on the second floor.

painted chest2

Most people would probably have passed it by because it was filthy and in pretty rough shape. The boards on the top were coming off, one of the drawers was broken, and the right knob on the bottom drawer was broken off. With a little elbow grease…..okay a lot of elbow grease and a little work, it now has a spot in our home!

painted chest3

I was absolutely in love with the crackled finish!!!! However I couldn’t figure out where I could use it in my home. I stood there and debated it for the longest time when finally my husband said, “Just buy it!!!” Normally I don’t buy anything if I don’t have a spot in mind for because our home is already really full.

painted chest 4

We applied a clear coat to prevent the paint from flaking off and to preserve the finish I love so much.

So how much did this little gem cost you ask? In my opinion it was a steal…… for $30!

Joining the party at:

Savvy Southern Style

Hope to see you there!

13 comments:

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

$30??? Wow! That WAS a steal! She's beautiful and I love the crackled finish too. Good idea to apply a clear coat to preserve it. So pretty!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Ok, I would buy it for $30 too. Love it.

aarond said...

I love it, would have bought it also.

Debby Goes Shabby said...

Love! Great find!

Debby
Debbygoesshabby.blogspot.com

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

What a great gem you found and I would have paid that for it also. Congrats.

Mary

Pamela said...

Oh my the chippy goodness! Love it Des!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Oh, Des, you lucky girl! What a cutie and it will last a long time with the clear coat. Looks perfect where you put it and you have something that every lover of chippie would give their eye teeth for..Happy Wednesday..Judy

Jamie said...

Oh my gosh, my husband and I were there on Sunday. We ate at Ad Aspera in Strong City. I love that antique store especially for the good junk out back! Happy antiquing! Jamie

Junkchiccottage said...

Oh Des I love this chippy piece of love you got. She is a beauty and looks beautiful where you put her in your home. SCORE!!! on that wonderful price. Yeah so happy you found this wonderful piece to relove and put in your home.
Hugs,
Kris

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Glad you took your hubby's advice and bought it!...what a gem is right and love the color!...I say, if you love it, you will always find a place for it!

Curtains in My Tree said...


It looks wonderful behind your sofa. Also that original color is not easy to find. That was a great find and who can;t use a little chest with more drawers?

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

It's fabulous and I would have brought that baby home, too!

The Grey Dove Cottage said...

Wow, what an amazing find. Love the chest and where you placed it looks beautiful!