Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The antique painting…..

painting1
I have had this oil painting on top of the vasselier for many years. The moment I saw it I fell in love with the soft muted colors. Of course I just had to have it even though it didn’t have a frame…… and it was a little on the pricey side.
painting 3
It has been displayed in a few different rooms over the years but has never had a frame…..until a few days ago! I decided to hang the cow painting that was here before in the living room which meant I needed something to fill the now empty space. I instantly thought of this painting and knew it would be just perfect in the spot. After I hung the painting I stood back and thought how it really needed a frame. Later that day as I was walking thru the living room  I noticed the smallest frame I had leaning aginst the wall next to the armoire looked like it was the same size as the oil painting!!!! However upon closer examination I realized the painting was just a little longer than the picture frame. I pondered it for a while and then thought, hmmmm I wonder if I can shorten the wood stretcher? After looking at it I decided it was indeed possible. Now the hardest part, convincing my husband to cut the wood stretcher down. After a little begging I persuaded him to just try it…..it only took about ten mintutes and now it looks like the painitng has always been in the frame!!!!
painting2
Have a great week my friends11!!
Joining the party at: Savvy Southern Style
Hope to see you there!!!

12 comments:

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

It looks great! A little ten minute diy and now you have a lovely one of a kind piece. Very pretty!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love it, gorgeous picture and frame.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

It's a gorgeous painting and the frame just made it even more special....glad your hubby agreed to retrofit the frame for your painting!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

It does look perfect, like it's always been in the frame.

Angelina at Petite Haus said...

This looks fabulous and I love your French vasselier too!

Pamela said...

Des it is a beautiful painting and that frame is just perfect for it!

Mari said...

Great idea Des, it looks gorgeous and like it always belonged.....just perfect!

Smiles~~
Mari

Junkchiccottage said...

Gorgeous picture and frame Des. Looks really pretty.
xoxo
Kris

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Perfection, Des!! Happy Thursday..Judy

Red Rose Alley said...

I really like that frame. It goes well with the oil painting. And I love your hutch (that's what I've always called it), it's beautiful. : )

love, ~Sheri

Katie Mansfield said...

What a darling painting and a great solution. The frame is gorgeous too.

The Grey Dove Cottage said...

The pairing is beautiful! What a wonderful discovery, in your own home. Brilliant -