Wednesday, January 8, 2020

The mantel shelf.....



This is how the fireplace mantel in the side parlor looked when we first bought our house.
The mantel shelf was added some time after the house was built. 


To say it had issues would be an understatement. The hearth was sunken in and the front of the hearth was two inches higher than the back. Most of the tile on the hearth was broken and could not be saved.

The entire fireplace had to be taken apart to fix the issue with the hearth. The mantel shelf was taken off and put in storage during this time. To be honest, I did not like the mantel shelf. However I felt guilty not putting it back on the fireplace since it has been in the house at least 100 years. So, I decided if maybe it was painted I would like it better. My husband painted it a few weeks ago and we installed it last week.


While it is still not my favorite piece I do like it much better now that it is painted.
I am not really a knick knack person so I opted for a simple look and just added some books in the center with a petite crown for a little bling....


Happy Wednesday!!!!
Thanks for stopping by to visit....








3 comments:

Junkchiccottage said...

It is so beautiful. I know you are not a big fan of the upper mantel but I love it painted white and it does fit with your Victorian house. Glad you decided to bring it back.
Hugs
Kris

Ron said...

Des, I like it much better white too. I cannot wait to see more.

Unknown said...

Much better white. Can't wait to see more!